Sunday, January 09, 2011

Crickets, Brush painting





What could be simpler than a Zen brush painting? One brush, one color, only a few strokes. Right. What no one tells you is how many times you have to do it over and over to get one to come out right. Practice practice practice. This painting is new. I did it the night before last. I did not follow a prescribed pattern, I studied instead the insect itself. Or--rather--some photographs of crickets. I have had no training. I just want to achieve simplicity on some level. I did, however, use a real bamboo brush, a large one--which is very challenging (for me). You can see how many I did before I got one I really liked.

I'd like to try some more when I have time. I think with a little more practice, I might be able to get it to be better and more consistent. MAYBE.

2 comments:

Africa TiƱana said...

hey i like your insects!

Take care and thanx for the comment!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks! I'm trying to learn brush painting but am not really very good at it.